Mountain View Elementary School
Frequently Asked Questions for New Mountain View Families Arrival
Check In, Absences, and Dismissal
School hours are 7:45A.M. - 2:25 P.M.
Our instructional day begins promptly at 8:00 A.M.
Arrival and Check In (7:40-7:55): We have staff available everyday to ensure your children get to their classrooms safely.
- The school opens at 7:40 A.M. for students
- Staff greet and help bus riders into the school; staff are also present throughout the hallways to guide them to class.
- Staff greet drop-off lane students enter the school through the “D-Pod” (farthest) door. Our drop off line can be long, so try to arrive closer to 7:45 A.M.
- If you choose to park and walk your child to the front door, teachers will guide them to class. If you want to go into the school with your child, you’ll need to stop and get a Visitor’s Pass in the front office.
- If your child arrives after 7:55 A.M., please bring them into the foyer to get a tardy pass.
Dismissal: We have these procedures in place to ensure all children return home safely.
- Students are dismissed starting at 2:25 PM.
- All families are asked to complete a Regular Dismissal Plan before the first day of school, and the Emergency Dismissal Plan by the first week of school.
- Any changes to the regular dismissal plan will require a written note to the office before 1:30 P.M. Email is the fastest way to get changes to all staff: email@example.com
- Busses depart school at 2:40 P.M. (Although this may be later on the first few days of school as the children get used to our routine.)
- Families who pick up their children from school are asked to park and enter through the cafeteria door after 2:20 PM to sign out their child.
- Extended Day Enrichment Program (EDEP) students are dismissed directly to that program.
- Boys & Girls Club students are met at the bus stop in Southwood.
- Due to preparations needed for a safe and smooth dismissal for our 770 children, students cannot be dismissed from the office between 2:00-2:25.
- Are found in Parent Portal. The Transportation Department will be present at Open House to answer any questions.
- Families can complete an Alternate Bus Request if you would like your child to regularly ride a different bus in the afternoon. This process can take up to 15 days. Contact Lizmer Montalvo at: firstname.lastname@example.org for help with this form.
Absences: We hope your child stays healthy, but we know that illnesses occur.
Send and email to email@example.com and let us know the reason for your child's absence or call the office at 434-293-7455.
Closing Hints for Your Child’s Success: In order to help your child’s transition to school, we suggest starting your child’s regular routine on the first day. For example, we recommend having your child ride the bus the first day if that will be part of the regular schedule.